Normal Heights Community Center
The Normal Heights Community Center located on 4649
Hawley Blvd. can be rented by individuals and community groups. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 619-563-0034 for more information.
The following text is the Resolution of the City Council in the
City of San Diego, receiving the generous donation of the Community Center.
Resolution of the City Council
City of San Diego
WHEREAS, The Oniera Club was founded in 1919 as an
organization of women from Normal Heights, Kensington and Talmadge,
interested in the welfare of the less fortunate, and,
WHEREAS, The Oniera Club is the oldest and most
distinguished service club in the Adams Avenue area, and,
WHEREAS, the Club's first major project was to roll
bandages to help the World War I effort, and,
WHEREAS, that activity was a forerunner for numerous
other community projects such as raising money for homes for the aged,
blind and mentally retarded; creating scholarships and aiding veterans in
many ways including tree trimming and Holiday parties at the Downtown YMCA,
WHEREAS, among other things, the Oniera Club has had a
garden club, an orchestra, music club, glee club, an arts group, drama
club, civic and English department and worked on historical matters in
the San Diego area, and,
WHEREAS, the original group of women purchased land in
Normal Heights in 1919 and their husbands built the first building on that
WHEREAS, in 1952, the present, larger structure was built
adding special significance to the Club's motto: "Dreams Come True,"
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the City Council of the
City of San Diego, that they recognize sixty-six years of service by The
Oniera Club to their community and their unselfish commitment to improving
the lives of the less fortunate.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the City Council, on behalf
of the people of San Diego, gratefully accepts the generous gift of The Oniera
Club of their building and properties for the betterment of their community.
This action is a true example of the Oniera Club's spirit of giving, spanning
its entire sixty-six year history.
Signed by: Roger Hedgecock, then Mayor of San Diego and 8 other councilmembers.
Number R-85-2187 Passed and Adopted the 27th Day of May, 1985.